The Zapp Brothers built this structure in 1900 to house their mercantile business; later it was used for a hospital, and then a boarding house. The Heimsath family renovated the building within Historic Registry guidelines, updating all mechanical systems, including plumbing, electrical, and sprinkler systems. Air conditioning was added and the roof replaced. The original windows and walls of the building were in great condition and original screen frames found at the site were used to replace damaged window screens. Since the restoration of the building, it has been a significant presence on the square in Fayetteville; first serving as architect's office (ours), with a modest B&B on the second floor.